Subject: Re: Some not working packages use Lesstif or XAw3d
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Peter Teichmann <teich-p@Rcs1.urz.tu-dresden.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/22/1998 14:07:56
> : Ah, how to detect it? What problems do they cause? Yes I know there was a
> : discussion about that a while ago, but it seemed that those people had a
> : lot of problems, and as I have normally no problems I thought that this is
> : unimportant to me.
> :
> : RiscBSD says "Strongarm rev. 2, bugged STM^ instruction".
>
> AFAIK, that means you _do_ have a buggy chip.

Hm. But I thought the buffed STM^ instruction is only important for the OS,
that means the kernel. And there was also an easy fix for that, if I
remember right.

So why should it have only effect with programs using Lesstif or Xaw3d?
Of course, the effect is very strange, as it not only crashes the
program, but also the complete X session. Also strange is that if the
programs once started up ok, they work without problems (ok except that
mozilla is very buggy) but they do not crash.

Was there a proper explaination for the problems this bug causes? I
remember some weeks/months ago people were discussing whether and how
to change their processors, but no one explained what the bug is exactly.

--
Peter Teichmann

Email: teich-p@rcs.urz.tu-dresden.de  WWW: rcswww.urz.tu-dresden.de/~teich-p