Subject: Re: K-Office
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Boroske <y0001006@ws.rz.tu-bs.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/21/1998 19:17:26
In message <Pine.SOL.3.95.981020134642.14983A-100000@primrose>
          MadNortheners <phryc@csv.warwick.ac.uk> wrote:

> Two points,

ermm, three :-)

> 2) KDE seems to run rather (ie very) slowly when I drag windows about - is
> this normal, or is it because I may have linked against the static libs?

I recently built on a Sparc2 running solaris - even there,
performance sucks (and memory wasn't a problem, with half
a gig and over 200MB free ...).
I configured solid window dragging on, that wasn't fast
either, but better than the lag I got when only dragging
the borders.

> 3) Yes, I know... Anyway, I have problems with starting KDE, startkde
> screams about not being able to talk to the xserver, so I had to edit my
> xinit to run startkde after X has started. Does this explain 2, and are
> there any fixes/workarounds/blindingly obvious solutions.

May be different in your version, but the 'startkde' my version (1.0)
came with isn't supposed to start X (I know, the name is confusing,
ie startx <-> startkde). It's just a small skript that starts
kfm, krootwm etc etc and finally kwm. Ie call it from your
.xsession and/or .xinitrc inplace of your previous wm (that
you all as last task).
In other words, unless your startkde is different, the behaviour
is perfectly normal and not an error.

Kind regards,

--
Thomas Boroske