Subject: Re: Many broken packages use Scheme -- weird!
To: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
From: Neil A. Carson <neil@causality.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/21/1998 23:29:27
Bill Sommerfeld wrote:

> > I'm no real expert on ARM, but one surprising (to me, somebody who's
> > used to other architectures) thing we found while hacking drivers was
> > that unaligned accesses produce "weird" data (basically, the data
> > 'rolled' in the register, depending on the address used to fetch it).
>
> Oww.  Shades of the original IBM RT procesor (which "rounded down"
> unaligned accesses)
>
> Unaligned accesses silently give you corrupted data?  Ewww...

The data is rotated by the amount you were unaligned by when doing the
store. Can be useful for optimisations sometimes. You can enable
alignment faults I think which will allow you to clobber and emulate
such things? This is only from memory I haven't got a databook to hand
but Mark probably has.

	Neil

--
Neil A. Carson