Subject: Two tiny but annoying KDE problems
To: NetBSD ARM 32 <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Coles <andrew@andycole.force9.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/21/1998 18:11:12
[ I know I only seem to write here with problems but I do try to help
others where possible - thanks to all that help me by the way]

OK - I've got KDE v1.0 to compile on my RiscPC (fitted ARM610 to
compile...damn StrongARM bug :-( ) using the source code downloaded from
the KDE ftp site, not NetBSD paksrc.

Virtually no compilation problems (just a few iffy Makefiles which were
easily fixed) but KPaint (in the kdegraphics section) refuses point blank
to execute once compiled. It just clicks away at the hard disk for a few
seconds then gives a panic and stops - the rest of the system is left
standing tho'. Has anyone else had this problem or is just me - I can do
without KPaint but it could be useful (although I've got the GIMP source
code ready to compile once I get the JPEG, MPEG and PNG libs)

Also, the three icons on the backdrop as standard (trash, autostart and the
other one - can't remember what it is) all have black backgrounds to their
text and black writing - a black box where the caption would be. Hilighting
the icon reveals the text. Anyone got a fix for this - I'm using Xarm33 so
if it's a case of waiting for a new X Server (I understand Mark B is
porting XFree86 to the RPC) then fair enough. Or if someone can point me to
a relavent .conf file or whatever than that would be great.

Once again, thanks to all who pay attention. And yes, I know Microsoft
Internet Mail client sucks, but I promise (seriously) to move over to kmail
once I've configured ppp - I've got a nice guide from my ISP by the way
(see http://www.hades.force9.co.uk/linux/Linux_Force9.html).

Also - for those interested in why KDE might be good for them - the file
manager (KFM) is an integrated file manager and web browser that supports
JavaScript (and maybe frames) - very nicely done and quite unobtrusive and
efficient.

Bye for now

Andrew

PS - No more 6th form 'till a week Monday - YES! More time to play with
NetBSD! (yes my friends think I'm wierd - they wonder why I'm not using
Linux :-) )