Subject: Re: Internal drives
To: Mark Brinicombe <mark@causality.com>
From: Dr. Stephen Borrill <sborrill@xemplar.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/19/1998 11:02:45
On Sat 17 Oct, Mark Brinicombe wrote:
>   Hmm well all the switching to the MI IDE code is complete and should be
> working. Certainly I have -current kernels working on both the RiscPC and
> CATS.

This was a clean sup of ksrc-common and ksrc-arm32 on Saturday morning.

> Actually just tried a couple of simple speed tests on the CATS. With a
> Maxtor 5400rpm drive I am peaking at 11.3 MB/sec xfer rates and tend to be
> sustaining 8MB + on 1GB xfers. I have a 7200rpm disc I am going to try out
> shortly (Also this is only using DMA mode 2).

That's right, rub it in... :-)

> I'm not quite sure what those control characters are.

It seems to be reading rubbish for the controller name.

> The config line for the internal controller should look something like
>
> # IDE disk controller
> wdc0    at pioc? offset 0x01f0 irq 9
> wd*     at wdc? channel ? drive ?
> atapibus* at wdc? channel ?
> cd*     at atapibus? drive ?
> sd*     at atapibus? drive ?

Yes, it exactly the same for the RPC configuration. For the CATS, it says:
pciide* at pci? dev ? function ?
wd*	at pciide? channel ? drive ?

> >From your message I understand that -current is working on the rapide
> device but not the internal ?
>
> What sort of output do you get from the ide ? I get something like

<snip>

On the RPC, I get:
wdc0 at pioc0 offset 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 9
atapibus at                 channel 0 not configured
drive at                   channel 0 not configured

On the CATS, it scrolls by so quick I can't see it (it doesn't pause while it
probes the IDE busses as it normally does, of course). It _might_ say something
about missing interrupt, but I can't be sure.

--
Dr. Stephen Borrill