Subject: Re: Internal drives
To: Stephen Borrill <sborrill@xemplar.co.uk>
From: Mark Brinicombe <mark@causality.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/17/1998 22:15:16
On Sat, 17 Oct 1998, Stephen Borrill wrote:

> After a couple of posts about recent CATS kernels not detecting the
> internal IDE (and no responses), I've now tried a very -current kernel on
> a RiscPC which has exactly the same problem (luckily I've got a RAPIDE
> which it does recognise, so I can boot up an prod around). While some of
> kernel options have been altered, I've not touched the wd* type options.
>
> At boot up the following is reported (all the control characters look
> empty on the console, but this is the output of more /kern/msgbuf).
>
> atapibus at ^X<F0><9F><E5>^X<F0><9F><E5>^X<F0><9F><E5><F4> channel 0 not
> configured
> drive at ^X<F0><9F><E5>^X<F0><9F><E5>^X<F0><9F><E5><F4> channel 0 drive 0
> not configured
>
> I presume this is part of Mark's work of moving to a more MI IDE
> implementation. If so, how's progress. If not, what else is wrong?
Hi,
  Hmm well all the switching to the MI IDE code is complete and should be
working. Certainly I have -current kernels working on both the RiscPC and
CATS.

Actually just tried a couple of simple speed tests on the CATS. With a
Maxtor 5400rpm drive I am peaking at 11.3 MB/sec xfer rates and tend to be
sustaining 8MB + on 1GB xfers. I have a 7200rpm disc I am going to try out
shortly (Also this is only using DMA mode 2).

I'm not quite sure what those control characters are.
The config line for the internal controller should look something like

# IDE disk controller
wdc0    at pioc? offset 0x01f0 irq 9
wd*     at wdc? channel ? drive ?
atapibus* at wdc? channel ?
cd*     at atapibus? drive ?
sd*     at atapibus? drive ?

>From your message I understand that -current is working on the rapide
device but not the internal ?

What sort of output do you get from the ide ? I get something like

pciide0 at pci0 dev 16 function 0: Acer Labs M5229 UDMA IDE Controller (rev. 0xc1)
pciide0: bus-master DMA support present
pciide0: primary channel configured to compatibility mode
atapibus0 at pciide0 channel 0
sd0 at atapibus0 drive 1: <IOMEGA  ZIP 100       ATAPI, , 23.D> type 0 direct removable
sd0: drive offline
wd0 at pciide0 channel 0 drive 0: <Maxtor 90680D4>
wd0: using 16-sector pio transfers, lba mode
wd0: 6485MB, 13176 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 13281408 sectors
wd0: PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, UDMA mode 2
pciide0: secondary channel configured to compatibility mode
pciide0: secondary channel ignored (not responding; disabled or no drives?)
pciide0:0:0: using DMA mode 2

This is with just a zip disc and 1 HD fitted.

Cheers,
				Mark