Subject: Re: Anyone connecting to the Internet via a dial up account?
To: None <andrew@andycole.force9.co.uk>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/15/1998 13:37:52
> Is anyone using NetBSD to connect to the Internet via a dial up account. I
> know the relavent IP addresses for my ISP (Force 9) and so on and I was
> wondering what I need to do under BSD to get it working.

I just use pppd.  It does all the address allocation stuff on its own.
You have to set up a chat script to dial the phone, and you have to
get the ppp parameters right, and you have to set up an
/etc/ppp/papsecrets (or chapsecrets) file.  Here are mine (suitably
censored, of course):

--------------------------------/etc/ppp/start---------------------------------
pppd /dev/tty01 57600 crtscts defaultroute netmask 255.255.255.255 connect /etc/ppp/script -chap name fnoog noauth refuse-chap user fnoog

------------------------------/etc/ppp/script----------------------------------
#!/bin/sh
chat -f /etc/ppp/connect -v -r /var/log/chatlog

-------------------------------/etc/ppp/connect--------------------------------
ABORT BUSY ABORT 'NO CARRIER' ABORT ' 2400\r' ABORT 'NO DIALTONE' ABORT 'VOICE' '' ATZ1 OK ATM0L0 OK ATDT5750187 CONNECT \c ogin: \c

fnoog tiac.net sekrit!

I'm using PAP because I wanted to verify that it worked - CHAP is
technically a better protocol, since the password is never sent across
the connection.   With PAP, it's sent across in the clear.   This is
less of a problem with modems than with ethernets, but it's still
bugus, particularly since the RADIUS client may well be sending the
password over your ISP's ethernet in the clear.

			       _MelloN_