Subject: Re: (x)emacs
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/14/1998 21:26:20
This is a multipart MIME message.

--==_Exmh_7171104880

> You might be able to apply the emacs-20.3 patches to the xemacs
> package to get it to build on arm32, BTW - I just added an arm32.h
> file and some minor crud in the configure script.
>
> 			       _MelloN_

You were right, it wasn't too hard, though I started from the template
file and just hacked that after looking at the old acorn.h file.

Anyway, I now have xemacs 20.4 running, though I can't say I've bashed
very hard on it yet.  I've enclosed my patches below, does anyone know how
to get these integrated into pkgsrc?

--==_Exmh_7171104880

*** configure.orig	Tue Feb 10 03:59:34 1998
--- configure	Wed Oct 14 15:38:08 1998
*************** fi
*** 835,840 ****
--- 835,841 ----
  machine='' opsys=''

  case "$canonical" in
+   arm*-*-*	   ) machine=arm ;;
    sparc-*-*        ) machine=sparc ;;
    alpha-*-*        ) machine=alpha ;;
    vax-*-*          ) machine=vax ;;
*** src/unexfreebsd.c.orig	Wed Oct 14 21:17:07 1998
--- src/unexfreebsd.c	Wed Oct 14 19:51:54 1998
*************** copy_relocation_site (struct relocation_
*** 289,295 ****
    /* We can get relocation sites in the bss region, for objects whose
       contents are copied from a shared library.  We don't need or want
       to restore these at present. */
! #ifndef sparc
    if (ri->r_copy)
      return;
  #else
--- 289,295 ----
    /* We can get relocation sites in the bss region, for objects whose
       contents are copied from a shared library.  We don't need or want
       to restore these at present. */
! #if !defined(sparc) && !defined(__arm__)
    if (ri->r_copy)
      return;
  #else
*** /dev/null	Wed Oct 14 21:08:20 1998
--- src/m/arm.h	Wed Oct 14 19:45:33 1998
***************
*** 0 ****
--- 1,109 ----
+ /* machine description file template.
+    Copyright (C) 1985, 1986 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
+
+ This file is part of GNU Emacs.
+
+ GNU Emacs is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
+ it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
+ the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option)
+ any later version.
+
+ GNU Emacs is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
+ but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
+ MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
+ GNU General Public License for more details.
+
+ You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
+ along with XEmacs; see the file COPYING.  If not, write to
+ the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330,
+ Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.  */
+
+ /* Synched up with: FSF 19.31. */
+
+ /* The following line tells the configuration script what sort of
+    operating system this machine is likely to run.
+    USUAL-OPSYS="<name of system .h file here, without the .h>"  */
+
+ /* Define WORD_MACHINE if addresses and such have
+  * to be corrected before they can be used as byte counts.  */
+
+ #undef WORD_MACHINE
+
+ /* Now define a symbol for the cpu type, if your compiler
+    does not define it automatically:
+    Ones defined so far include vax, m68000, ns16000, pyramid,
+    orion, tahoe, APOLLO and many others */
+ /* Netbsd's gcc doesn't define __arm__: it should */
+ #define __arm__
+
+ /* Define EXPLICIT_SIGN_EXTEND if XINT must explicitly sign-extend
+    the bit field into an int.  In other words, if bit fields
+    are always unsigned.
+
+    If you use NO_UNION_TYPE, this flag does not matter.  */
+
+ #define EXPLICIT_SIGN_EXTEND
+
+ /* Data type of load average, as read out of kmem.  */
+
+ #define LOAD_AVE_TYPE long
+
+ /* Convert that into an integer that is 100 for a load average of 1.0  */
+
+ #define LOAD_AVE_CVT(x) (int) (((double) (x)) * 100.0 / FSCALE)
+
+ /* Define CANNOT_DUMP on machines where unexec does not work.
+    Then the function dump-emacs will not be defined
+    and temacs will do (load "loadup") automatically unless told otherwise.  */
+
+ /* #undef CANNOT_DUMP */
+
+ /* Define VIRT_ADDR_VARIES if the virtual addresses of
+    pure and impure space as loaded can vary, and even their
+    relative order cannot be relied on.
+
+    Otherwise Emacs assumes that text space precedes data space,
+    numerically.  */
+
+ /* #define VIRT_ADDR_VARIES */
+
+ /* Define C_ALLOCA if this machine does not support a true alloca
+    and the one written in C should be used instead.
+    Define HAVE_ALLOCA to say that the system provides a properly
+    working alloca function and it should be used.
+    Define neither one if an assembler-language alloca
+    in the file alloca.s should be used.  */
+
+ /* #define C_ALLOCA */
+ #define HAVE_ALLOCA
+
+ /* Define NO_REMAP if memory segmentation makes it not work well
+    to change the boundary between the text section and data section
+    when Emacs is dumped.  If you define this, the preloaded Lisp
+    code will not be sharable; but that's better than failing completely.  */
+
+ /* #define NO_REMAP */
+
+ /* Some really obscure 4.2-based systems (like Sequent DYNIX)
+  * do not support asynchronous I/O (using SIGIO) on sockets,
+  * even though it works fine on tty's.  If you have one of
+  * these systems, define the following, and then use it in
+  * config.h (or elsewhere) to decide when (not) to use SIGIO.
+  *
+  * You'd think this would go in an operating-system description file,
+  * but since it only occurs on some, but not all, BSD systems, the
+  * reasonable place to select for it is in the machine description
+  * file.
+  */
+
+ /* #define NO_SOCK_SIGIO */
+
+
+ /* After adding support for a new system, modify the large case
+    statement in the `configure' script to recognize reasonable
+    configuration names, and add a description of the system to
+    `etc/MACHINES'.
+
+    If you've just fixed a problem in an existing configuration file,
+    you should also check `etc/MACHINES' to make sure its descriptions
+    of known problems in that configuration should be updated.  */

--==_Exmh_7171104880--