Subject: Re: (x)emacs
To: None <kim@pvv.ntnu.no, port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Mike Pumford <mpumford@black-star.home.net>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/13/1998 00:44:33

> Emacs and xemacs20 have gone processorspecific, and ARM is not
> defined in their source code. This is quite silly, as emacs
> is an editor, not a device driver, and should be compilable on
> anything with gcc, as it was earlier.

I can't help with emacs but I have managed to get xemacs to build. Once I get
round to upgrading to the latest version I'll see about getting them included
in the NetBSD package system patches for now and for inclusion in future
XEmacs releases.

Basically configure needs a line adding for the arm architecture

As follows:
  case "$canonical" in
    sparc-*-*        ) machine=sparc ;;
    arm-*-*        ) machine=arm ;; # this line added
    alpha-*-*        ) machine=alpha ;;
    vax-*-*          ) machine=vax ;;
    mips-dec-*       ) machine=pmax ;;

The creation of an empty arm.h is required in src/m.

in src/unexfreebsd.c the

#ifndef sparc in copy relocation_site should be changed to

#if !defined(sparc) && !defined(__arm32__)

It should then be possible to configure and build XEmacs as follows

configure arm--netbsd
make

Mike