Subject: Re: Are there any limits on hard-disc size?
To: Timothy Coltman <timothy_coltman@hotmail.com>
From: Mark Brinicombe <mark@causality.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/10/1998 22:05:55
On Sat, 10 Oct 1998, Timothy Coltman wrote:

> Hello (again),
>
> Having randomly been given 100UKP for getting a degree, I'm looking to
> buy a new hard-disc as my crappy old Connor 1032Mb is too slow and I'm
> running out of room for all the NetBSD delights I have. What is the
> biggest size hard-disc that NetBSD arm/32 supports? I'm thinking about a
> 5.1Gb Quantum EX.

Well the biggest is only limited by cost at the moment. Have not
personnaly tried any of the 16-18 gig drives myself but am playing with
the 7200rpm 10GB Maxtors (IDE). With SCSI there is nothing preventing use
of say an elite-47.
With IDE I regularly use 4 - 8GB discs.

In fact from problems I hear about MBRs on PC's you will probably have
less problems installing an large disc on an arm32 machine than a PC ;-))

> Any help would be appreciated as I have no idea and I don't want to find
> out that the max size is something derisory like 2.327762Gb and waste
> 100 quid.

the arm32 port does not impose any specific limits. With FFS disk
addresses are 64 bit so you can have some big file systems.

Cheers,
				Mark