Subject: Compiling gcc 2.8.1
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Timothy Coltman <timothy_coltman@hotmail.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/10/1998 06:36:17
Hello,

Has anyone successfully compiled gcc 2.8.x? I had a go last
night/earlier on today and it barfed halfway through. I got as far as
'make CC="stage1/xgcc -Bstage1/" CFLAGS="-O2 -g"' and it got to
compiling the file 'cp/tinfo1.cc' and stopped halfway through with the
following:

In file included from ./tinfo.cc:30:
include/new:24: warning: `catch', `throw', and `try' are all C++
reserved words
include/new:25: syntax error before `{'
include/new:46: declaration of `operator delete(void *)' throws
different exceptions...
<internal>:46: ...from previous declaration here
include/new:47: declaration of `operator delete [](void *)' throws
different exceptions...
<internal>:47: ...from previous declaration here

Now, I have no idea at all about C++ but I had a look at the include/new
file and tried commenting out the lines which caused errors but it still
wouldn't work. Has anyone else got it working correctly or should I wait
till gcc 2.8 is part of the netbsd-current source tree (typing gcc
--version prints something like 2.7.2.2+myc1). I need 2.8 in order to
try and compile KDE Office, which needs exceptions. I tried compiling
python 1.5.1 with 2.7.2.2 and that failed too - does this need 2.8?

Any help would be appreciated.

By the way, is there going to be a new snapshot coming out soon? My web
connection is so slow that it would take over a week to download the
sources and compile them (the sources are updated every week, methinks
(??)).

Cheers,
tim