Subject: Re: Adding a disk to a shark
To: None <richard.earnshaw@arm.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/09/1998 12:57:38
On Fri, 9 Oct 1998, Richard Earnshaw wrote:

: > - Make sure you have a MBR on the disk with partition type 165.  I'm not
:
: Are you sure it's 165 (old netbsd) not 169 (netbsd)?

Yes, or otherwise the firmware won't see it.  The OFW doesn't know about
type 169.

: What should the boot block be set to?  Should it contain the i386 code in
: fdisk.c, or should it be arm code that gets executed?

Doesn't matter.  It won't get executed.

: > - Disklabel it.
:
: Any special options (primary, secondary boot blocks and the like?

Nope.  There are no bootblocks.  The firmware knows MBR and disklabel
internally.

: Something I forgot to mention in my first message was that the Aug28 build
: of the firmware does not contain an interrupts property for the ide device
: (I had to fake this up in the ofw probing code using the constant defined
: in the headers -- I'll submit a patch once I get all this sorted out).
: Could this be related to why I can't access the disk ?  Can I patch my
: firmware to supply this info?

Hm.  The attach code is supposed to handle that with COMPAT_OLD_OFW, but
perhaps it didn't....

: Is there any way I can get the open firmware to print what it can see of
: the partition table?  I really don't know any Forth at all, so wouldn't
: know where to start.

Unfortunately, `nfc'.