Subject: Re: Adding a disk to a shark
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/09/1998 17:51:57
> The solution:
>
> - Make sure you have a MBR on the disk with partition type 165.  I'm not

Are you sure it's 165 (old netbsd) not 169 (netbsd)?

>   kidding.  (Incidentally, fdisk should probably be enabled for arm32.)

Hmm, I've hacked up a version of fdisk -- -current has renamed all the dos
structures to mbr_ and equivalent.  Running it seems to give sensible
information -- the sysid was previously 6 or something quite low.

What should the boot block be set to?  Should it contain the i386 code in
fdisk.c, or should it be arm code that gets executed?

> - Disklabel it.

Any special options (primary, secondary boot blocks and the like?

> - Bott disk:\netbsd, or hardlink /netbsd to /boot.

This still hangs -- I just get a message

Boot device: /isa/ide/disk@0:\netbsd  File and args:

and then nothing.  Sometimes I can then break into this with
CTRL-ALT-BREAK, but not always.

Something I forgot to mention in my first message was that the Aug28 build
of the firmware does not contain an interrupts property for the ide device
(I had to fake this up in the ofw probing code using the constant defined
in the headers -- I'll submit a patch once I get all this sorted out).
Could this be related to why I can't access the disk ?  Can I patch my
firmware to supply this info?

Is there any way I can get the open firmware to print what it can see of
the partition table?  I really don't know any Forth at all, so wouldn't
know where to start.

Thanks for your help anyway

Richard.