Subject: Re: GCC produces MUL R5,R5,R5 instruction !
To: Peter Teichmann <teich-p@Rcs1.urz.tu-dresden.de>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/05/1998 17:32:47
> Hi,
>
> when compiling the Mesa package (needed by KDE) I saw by chance a assembler
> warning on the assembler output produced by GCC saying something about
> wrong registers in a MUL instruction.
>
> So I compiled this file also only to assembler output and looked at it,
> and found a MUL R5,R5,R5  ->  GCC sometimes generates instructions that are
> wrong!

Yes this is a known bug in the 2.7.2.2+myc1 version of the compiler (it
should be fixed in the egcs build, but there are other problems with
that).  There is a fix, but it is to the machine-independent part of the
compiler.

Todd, are you accepting patches to the MI part of the old compiler?

Richard.

PS. Actually, if you are running on a StrongARM, I don't think it matters.
 A couple of test's I have just done seem to suggest that there is no
corruption as happens on ARM2 through ARM7.

R.