Subject: Re: options FPE/ARMFPE?
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Mark Brinicombe <mark@causality.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/04/1998 19:33:33
On Sun, 4 Oct 1998, Todd Vierling wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Oct 1998, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
>
> : syncing my kernel config files, I wondered what the following options do:
> :
> : # FPA options
> : #options 	FPE		# Single precision FPE
> : #options 	ARMFPE		# ARM Ltd FPE
>
> Pre-NetBSD 1.3, the arm32 port used hardware float instructions and a
> floating point kernel emulator.  As of 1.3 and beyond, the gcc compiler
> defaulted to soft-float, as the majority (all?) the ARM processors have no
> hardware float.

Only the ARM7500FE has the FPA built in and there are one or two
ARM700+FPA11 CPU cards for Acorn RiscPC's. As things stand I think there
is about 1 user who runs NetBSD on a ARM7500FE based machine.
For such systems probably the best way to support them would be to have
versions of libm and the libc soft-float code that used those hardware FP
instructions that would actually supported by the hardware and left
everything else to software (but not the emulator).

> The Shark config file isn't meant to be a GENERIC - that will happen when
> the rest of the CATS merging et. al. is complete and the RiscPC `wdc'
> conflicts are resolved.
The wdc conflicts have been resolved. You will note that files.arm32 just
includes files.isa now ;-)

Cheers,
				Mark