Subject: Re: options FPE/ARMFPE?
To: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Neil A. Carson <neil@causality.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/04/1998 19:46:28
Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> syncing my kernel config files, I wondered what the following options do:

> # FPA options
> #options        FPE             # Single precision FPE
> #options        ARMFPE          # ARM Ltd FPE

> Maybe someone can add these (and whatever else is missing >:) to
> options.4? Would be cool!

FPA is a 'floating point accelerator,' a chip designed to add FP support
to the ARM3 and ARMx00 processors. StrongARMs don't have them, and the
standard for them will likely change more in future ARMs (eg the SA1500
AMP is completely different).

The FPE (floating point emulator) was a single precision one written by
me and Mark in on evening (a record acheivment) to get gcc working
natively around 4 years ago :-) that was removed---I'd recommend nuking
this from all options files permanently as I don't think the code is in
the tree any more (but I could be wrong). The ARMFPE was a full
IEEE-compliant FPA emulator from ARM that Mark and myself ported. This
is still useful if eg you build a non-soft-float userland on a CPU with
FP such as the ARM7500FE.

If someone wants to add this to options.4 then feel free.

	Cheers,

	Neil

--
Neil A. Carson