Subject: Re: options FPE/ARMFPE?
To: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/04/1998 12:51:45
On Sun, 4 Oct 1998, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

: syncing my kernel config files, I wondered what the following options do:
:
: # FPA options
: #options 	FPE		# Single precision FPE
: #options 	ARMFPE		# ARM Ltd FPE

Pre-NetBSD 1.3, the arm32 port used hardware float instructions and a
floating point kernel emulator.  As of 1.3 and beyond, the gcc compiler
defaulted to soft-float, as the majority (all?) the ARM processors have no
hardware float.

The options are useless for Sharks now that gcc defaults to soft-float.

: And while here: does option FFS_EI work on the shark? It's not in the
: SHARK config file...

Yes.  It works on all platforms, AFAICT, and I've tested alpha, arm32, and
sparc, three different endian/pointer-size arch combinations.

The Shark config file isn't meant to be a GENERIC - that will happen when
the rest of the CATS merging et. al. is complete and the RiscPC `wdc'
conflicts are resolved.

: P.S.: Please reply via CC:, I'm not on this list!

If you own a Shark, you should be.