Subject: Re: StrongARM replacement, 20 names on my list
To: Kjetil B. Thomassen <kjetil@thomassen.priv.no>
From: Mark Brinicombe <mark@causality.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/03/1998 21:13:07
On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Kjetil B. Thomassen wrote:

> I have done a new count of the names on my list of people who may
> be interested in getting their SA-110 J/K replaced with an S/T.
> I now have 20 names on my list.
>
> So, if anyone wants to take some action and try to get a deal with
> e.g. ChalTech, please send me an email and I will send them the
> list of names I have.
>
> If there any more people out there who may consider getting this
> done, then please email me at: mailto:strongarm@thomassen.priv.no.
>
> For new readers, the point here is to get someone to desolder
> the the old SA-110 from the processor card, and re-solder a
> new one. Someone got a quote from Acorn for GBP 100+VAT, but
> it should be possible to get this cheaper if a lot of people
> are going to do this.
>
> As previously noted, I will not take any other action than to
> collect the names and email addresses.
HI,
  I have spoken to Gareth at simtec and he says that they are replacing
all their rev S silicon with rev T silicon. This means they would provide
rev T silicon for any upgrades they perform. Simtec are prepared to
upgrade cards but state that it would be easier if they could do the
upgrade on a number of cards in one go rather than having to do them
individually. Also were they to receive a number of cards to upgrade in
one go the upgrade cost would probably be less.

Note: One point Gareth did make is that changing the silicon will change
the timing characteristics of the CPU card and due to the way the tracks
are layed out this could cause timing problems with 486 co-proc cards
fitted (similar to the problems some people experienced in the early days
of the 486 co-porc cards).

Cheers,
				Mark