Subject: Re: Cross-Compiling from i386 to arm32
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Neil A. Carson <neil@causality.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/03/1998 12:09:39
Todd Vierling wrote:

> FYI, you can get a cross-compiler that produces _static_ binaries as we're
> still working on the support to make dynamically linked or shared binaries
> in a cross linker.
>
> The source tree in src/gnu/dist can be used to produce a gas, ld, and gcc,
> but that can't yet be used to compile the NetBSD source tree or anything
> dynamically linked.
>
> mark@netbsd.org or neil@netbsd.org will probably chime in now with the
> information on patches you can use against the out of the box GNU binutils.
> :>

I didn't think neil@netbsd.org worked ;-)

There are quite a few people successfully cross-compiling using a
crossed build of the standard NetBSD gcc distribution on
cross-architectures such as i386. This will work fine for the kernel,
except you'll want to 'hack around' the genassym/makemodes stuff (nuke
the latter for non-RiscPC).

I just build natively though. Not thinking straight right now having
spent 14 hours on an aircraft last night...

--
Neil A. Carson