Subject: Re: Cross-Compiling from i386 to arm32
To: Edwin Foo <efoo@MIT.EDU>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/01/1998 18:33:31
On Thu, 1 Oct 1998, Edwin Foo wrote:

: I don't have an ARM-based machine to start developing on, so the
: cross-compiler is really my only way out to get my project bootstrapped.
:
: In particular, I'm trying to start from -current/i386 (dated 10/1/98), and
: I have a current snapshot of egcs. Should I also get binutils from gnu? And
: is arm-unknown-netbsd a valid target? And what is getassym and is relavence
: to kernel builds?

FYI, you can get a cross-compiler that produces _static_ binaries as we're
still working on the support to make dynamically linked or shared binaries
in a cross linker.

The source tree in src/gnu/dist can be used to produce a gas, ld, and gcc,
but that can't yet be used to compile the NetBSD source tree or anything
dynamically linked.

mark@netbsd.org or neil@netbsd.org will probably chime in now with the
information on patches you can use against the out of the box GNU binutils.
:>