Subject: Re: KDE and QT lib
To: The Sherratt Clan <ksherratt@argonet.co.uk>
From: Timothy Coltman <tim@fivehighfield.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/24/1998 20:21:15
In message <488a2e591dksherratt@argonet.co.uk>, The Sherratt Clan
<ksherratt@argonet.co.uk> writes
>Wotcha folks.
>
>As a slightly more intellectual challange than "Hello World" I thought I'd
>try compiling KDE.

Hmmm... make sure you have a spare day to compile it in :-)).

>However, it is all going pear shapedŒ
>I have got the QT lib (1.4), and am trying to compile that first, as is
>required.
>
>I ran make netbsd-g++-static , made sure that the makefiles pointed to the
>correct X11 directory, and ran make.
>
>Lots of files compiled, and then the makefile tried to run
>
>ar cqs
>
>This barfed, as s is not an allowed switch. Trying other switches doesnt
>work, and missing of s lets ar make the archive libqt.a. But then, nothing
>happens :-( QT is not placed in /usr/local/qt/libs

two solutions:

(1)     use pkgsrc to build qt (copy the qt-1.40.tar.gz file to
/usr/pkgsrc/distfiles, cd to /usr/pkgsrc/x11/qt and type 'make install'.
This won't install qt in /usr/local/qt but it'll make it in the X11R6.3
directory in /usr and various other places - a bit of a messy
installation. I didn't want this so I built in /usr/local/qt. (And I
didn't want the same effect when I compiled kde so I built that manually
too).
(2)     if you have the UVM sets and a UVM kernel, build the netbsd-
g++-shared version. It works fine for me. I didn't bother building the
static version because it means that compiled programs are huge (kfm can
be about 4mb static but only about 800k shared) and load times are much
reduced when you start up kde (but still too damn long).

>Any help gratefully accepted.

Hope this helps. I would upload my qt distribution but it would take too
damn long with a 28.8K modem :-)... Perhaps someone with a super-fast
connection could upload theirs instead...

>TTFN, Karl

Hope this is of some assistance...
--
Timothy Coltman