Subject: Re: Newbie questions
To: Robin Watts <Robin.Watts@wss.co.uk>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/23/1998 12:32:27
On Wed, 23 Sep 1998, Robin Watts wrote:

: 1) On bootup it complains about /dev/ttyv1 thru 5 not being
: configured. I have checked and they exist in /dev, and in /etc/ttys,
: and the values there look plausible to me (unchanged from the
: snapshot).

Turn them "off" in /etc/ttys.  The shark doesn't have those terminals - it
uses a (hacked) pccons, which has one console.

: [As a minor question, what is the correct response to give to the
: terminal type prompt for a console on a shark?]

pc3

: 2) X won't work any more. None of the snapshots I downloaded appear to
: include X, so the version of X on the disc should be exactly the same
: as the one that was working before.

/pub/NetBSD/arch/arm32/xsets/ - download everything BUT xarm33.tgz.

: I don't think this is the same problem as was discussed recently on
: the net, as none of the X setup should have changed. I am just
: expecting too much to hope that the same version of X will work?

Hm.  Perhaps you may need to compile your own kernel and make sure INSECURE
and XSERVER are turned on.  However, I believe that was the default when
those kernels were built...?

: To see if it was the kernel that was the problem, I tried reverting to
: the older kernel, but even sh won't work like that (because its
: non-UVM, and the binaries are? or its out of date w.r.t the binaries
: anyway).

Out of date.  We've added system calls to the kernel since then.