Subject: Re: Lesstif blues...
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Timothy Coltman <tim@fivehighfield.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/21/1998 19:57:49
In message <4888b131bbmartin.tee@argonet.co.uk>, Martin Tee
<martin.tee@argonet.co.uk> writes
>On 19 Sep, Martin Tee <martin.tee@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
>> can't get my own progs to run :-(. Am about to try nedit.
>
>The saga continues...
>Nedit compiled OK but crashed with a server memory fault. Reinstalled
>1.3.2 from scratch including the comp set as I had a rather messy set-up.
>Using pkgsrc compiled libtool and tried compiling lesstif-0.86.0 which
>failed with the error:
>Data abort: 'Permission error (page)' status = 00f address = 00000010
>PC = 000ef7f0

Hmmm.. I got it to compile ok, *WITHOUT* using pkgsrc and without using
libtool. Using pkg/libtool caused the build to fail half-way through
because of some problem with the patches for NetBSD which, when applied,
would use the pkg version of libtool instead of the one in the lesstif
directory. Anyway, I have got 0.86.0 working: mwm works fine and so do
the test programs (I actually use KDE but I compiled lesstif to try and
get mozilla-19980409 to work - more on that later...). I think your
problem stems from using the 1.3.2 sets - try the UVM sets instead
(available from the netbsd ftp site or a mirror (such as ftp://ftp.doc.i
c.ac.uk/unix/NetBSD/arch/arm32/snapshot (or something)).

I couldn't get mozzie to work because it requires about 300Mb+ of free
disc space and despite me deleting various things from my /usr
partition, such as the /usr/kernels folder and all the other stuff in
the pkgsrc tree that I've compiled before (such as gimp and gtk) and
trying to get it to use my zip disc or / partition to compile on (by
using a few symbolic links), I couldn't find enough room. I found that
mozilla fell down a few times, complaining about unresolved symbols such
as 'hex' and 'dec' in a line in one file. Never mind. If only KDE's web
browser-cum-file-manager was any good, I wouldn't need mozilla...

>Looking back in the archive similar problems occurred with the compiler on
>J or K rev SAs (I've got a K rev), the familiar LDR problem. Could this be
>the cause of my problem? and is the only solution to buy a new SA?

Try the UVM sets. They seem to work fine for me (I'm not sure what
revision my SA is, presumably it's J or K) and make sure you get a new
kernel too...

>TTFN

Have fun...
--