Subject: Re: kvmlib procs don't work
To: Stefan Voss <voss@yoda.in-berlin.de>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/21/1998 08:46:12
On Mon, 21 Sep 1998, Stefan Voss wrote:

: after upgrading to an UVM kernel and to the August UVM snapshot the
: programs that use the kvm lib (top, ps, etc.) don't work anymore.

If ps didn't work, then you need to make sure the kernel is approximately
the same date of sources as ps.  Bedcause of the many changes in the kernel,
you have to keep such utilities up to date.

Additionally, third party stuff such as top must be recompiled as there is
no way to keep binary compatibility between Mach VM and UVM on those
programs.

: Being a known error message I downloaded the libkvm
: sources and ps sources from NetBSD-current and recompiled them.
: Unfortunately I get the same error when this new libkvm and ps is used.
:
: I also have "UVM=1" in /etc/mk.conf. I can see that e.g. ps is now
: compiled with -DUVM. I'm running a kernel from NetBSD-current sup'ed just
: yesterday. Now I have a UVM kernel, UVM binaries, UVM libs and "UVM=1" in
: /etc/mk.conf. Any idea why I still get the "proc size mismatch" error?

Make sure that your sources in /usr/include/sys (kernel stuff) are up to
date.  It's likely that they are not.  Doing a "make includes" in /sys
should solve that problem--but be warned, if you're going to do this, you
may not be able to compile everything without updating the whole system.

Welcome to tracking -current.  :-/