Subject: Re: Modems and serial ports
To: None <richard.earnshaw@arm.com>
From: David Forbes <dmf20@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/17/1998 12:55:49
> Make sure that there isn't a getty running on the port.  If there is, it
> will be swallowing any responses that you might expect.  (look in
> /etc/ttys -- see the man page).

Okay, I'll check, but I don't think there is.  (This is one of the things
I looked at, but I can remember looking at /etc/ttys and thinking, "hmm,
that's nice...") From what I've seen, I suspect the problem lies in an
earlier stage, in that the data isn't getting to the modem in the first
place, because none of the Tx/Rx lights flicker on the modem (which does
happen under RISCOS).  Having said that, the TR light comes on when
/dev/tty00 is opened, so I think I've got the device name/kernel config
right?

Is it possible for the getty to block the output?  Although, would I still
be able to open /dev/tty00 if the getty was hogging it?

I think I forgot to mention that I'm doing all this as root...

Thanks,
David.

PS - Am I right in thinking the correct entry in /etc/ttys would be one
that mentions /dev/tty00, but no getty, line speed, etc?  (As opposed to
having no /dev/tty00 entry?)