Subject: Modems and serial ports
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: David Forbes <dmf20@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/17/1998 12:35:54
Dear All,

Recently, I've been trying to get my new 56k USR modem to work with NetBSD
1.3F, on my A7000+.  It works fine under RISC-OS, I can use *pipecopy or
*echo to send stuff to serial:

However, under NetBSD, I can't get any response at all.  At this stage,
I'm not trying to dial anywhere specific, or set-up ppp & chat, I'd just
like to get the modem to respond to simple commands like on/off hook.

I've got com0 support compiled into the kernel and it is recognised at
during boot.  At this point, the TR light (on the modem) goes off.
Reading around various man pages, I've found that I want /dev/tty00.  Is
this correct.  When I do:

cat /dev/tty00 >/dev/ttyp1 &

(Assuming I'm on /dev/ttyp1 or /dev/stdout or whatever.)  The TR light on
the modem comes on.  However nothing appears.

So I do:

echo ATZ >/dev/tty00

No reponse.  The Tx and Rx lights on the modem stay dead.  I've also tried
things like ATH1 and ATH0. I've also tried using

cat /dev/stdin | tee /dev/tty00

What I type then appears on the screen, but I still get no reponse, either
textually or in terms of indicator lights from the modem.  I've tried a
simple chat script, but that just hangs.  (Interestingly I don't get any
of the verbose messages from chat at all, which from the flags I've used
should be sent to stderr.)

Has anyone managed this or spotted the glaring error that I've overlooked?

Thanks,
David.

PS - I've tried stty to set speed and CTS/RTS for /dev/tty00, but it
didn't seem to make much difference.