Subject: Re: network i/f
To: Mike Pumford <mpumford@black-star.demon.co.uk>
From: Andrew McMurry <a.mcmurry1@physics.oxford.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/16/1998 11:12:30
> With a UTP crossover you do have to watch of for the media autodetection
> done by the driver. The NIC on the none acorn machine must be set up and
> working on 10BaseT before NetBSD boots since the driver does not support
> manual media selection. However if it works in RISC OS it should work in
> BSD.

I have a system very like this with a RiscPC and a CATS based system.
My RiscPC's ethernet card is an old ANT Ether3 podule.  This has
10BaseT only, but has no problems with being set up by NetBSD without
RISCOS getting a look in. I know this because to start with, RISCOS
was not aware of the card, although NetBSD was. (I hadn't changed a
link to sya that the ROM I put in for StrongARM compatability was
bigger than the one I took out).

I have had no problems communicating NetBSD <-> NetBSD, and since
fixing the link, no problems communicating RISC OS <-> NetBSD either.

	Andrew