Subject: network i/f
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Justin Stringfellow - Sun UK <justin.stringfellow@UK.Sun.COM>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/15/1998 19:03:37
Hi folks,

I'm in the throes of purchasing a old (spit) pentium to run Solaris x86 on,
maybe linux and netbsd as well. I'm going to buy a network interface for it, so
that I can talk to it via my (not yet installed...) arm32 1.3 installation.
My system is a Strongarm-powered early (8 bit sound) RiscPC with 42Mb RAM,
powertec SCSI and yellowstone ide and a wearnes ide cdrom.. which has never
worked since I installed my SCSI card. I don't think any of that should pose a
problem though.

The question is, can anyone reccommend the network cards I should buy? I see
that i-cubed network cards are going cheap in some places. Is 10baseT or 10base2
the best option? The machines are going to be probably sat right beside each
other.

           /\
          \\ \            Justin Stringfellow
         \ \\ /           OS Support Engineer
        / \/ / /
       / /   \//\         Sun Microsystems Ltd.
       \//\   / /         Watchmoor Park, Camberley, England
        / / /\ /
         / \\ \           E-mail: justin.stringfellow@uk.sun.com
          \ \\            Phone:  (01276) 416562
           \/             Fax:    (01276) 416682