Subject: Re: Anyone got GCC working on arm32 yet (RISCPC kernel)?
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Mark Brinicombe <mark@causality.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/13/1998 18:13:41
On Fri, 11 Sep 1998, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Sep 1998 18:03:08 +0100 (BST)
>  prlw1@cam.ac.uk (Patrick Welche) wrote:
>
>  > > Eh?  NetBSD runs on the SA-110.  IIRC, there are RiscPCs that SA-110s
>  > > in them that DO WORK!
>  >
>  > Unfortunately with revisions J and K it's rather hit and miss...
>
> That is an artifact of a hardware bug, not insufficent support in the OS.
>
> I thought there had been some discussion about how to work around the
> problem in these revs?
Yep there was some discussion. The best solution that was recommended to
me by folks from DEC was a soldering iron and replace the silicon.
Basically once the problem is hit recovery cannot be guaranteed. However
by hacking GCC it could be possible to ensure that the situation that
triggers the bug does not occur. This would though introduce extra cycles
and unless GCC/EGCS supported this as standard this would be messy.

Ideally one would hope that the manufacturers would do something about
silicon bugs that don't have simple software workarounds....

Cheers,
				Mark