Subject: Re: Anyone got GCC working on arm32 yet (RISCPC kernel)?
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Neil Hoggarth <neil.hoggarth@physiol.ox.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/11/1998 18:16:50
On Fri, 11 Sep 1998, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> Eh?  NetBSD runs on the SA-110.  IIRC, there are RiscPCs that SA-110s
> in them that DO WORK!

True. But there are a lot of RiscPCs with revision J and K SA-110s in
them and, although it will be unpopular news in some quarters, I think
it needs to be made clear: NetBSD/arm32 does not work very reliably on
these machines. I believe that the hardware problems with rev J and K
processors are behind a lot of the inexplicable segfaults that people
have with stuff like the compiler and X.

Anyone who has joined the list recently should see the archives of
port-arm32 for April/May 1998 for (extensive) comment on this issue.
(http://mail-index.netbsd.org/mlist/port-arm32/).

Re-installing an ARM610 or ARM710 does seem a rather retrograde step,
however, it is an option for someone who needs a stable system and can't
or aren't prepared to replace a buggy SA-110.

Regards,

Neil Hoggarth                                 Departmental Computer Officer
<neil.hoggarth@physiol.ox.ac.uk>                   Laboratory of Physiology
http://www.physiol.ox.ac.uk/~njh/                  University of Oxford, UK