Subject: Re: 1.3a on an A7000+
To: David Boddie <davidb@dcs.st-and.ac.uk>
From: David Forbes <dmf20@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/11/1998 10:45:59
> I am attempting to install RiscBSD 1.3alpha (from the Causality CD) on an
> A7000+, but I'm not having much success.

ISTR, that CD is too old.

> I've tried the default RPCINST kernel with no success, and a couple of
> A7INST kernels from the distribution on the 'net, but none of these seem

There's at least one on ftp.netbsd.org.  Last time I checked none of the
ones on ftp.ph.kcl.ac.uk work.

> I suppose what I'm wanting to know is whether anyone else has got 1.3a
> up and running on an A7000+, and how exactly they managed it?

It's currently running quite stably on mine :-)

It's been some time since I installed, but I seem to recall using three
kernels, because the original install kernel that worked didn't like my
network card or my mouse.  I used a kernel from a snapshot ca. Jan/Feb
'98.  Later ones may support A7000+s, but I don't know for sure.  If you
have trouble finding one that works, let me know and I'll send you mine.
If poss. you probably want to get yourself a UVM snapshot.

Just out of interest, how does one build an install kernel?

Cheers,
David.

PS - You will probably want more than the basic 8Mb RAM if you want to run
X.  Also, you should be aware that, at present, the system will not
utilise your FPU, so somethings will be slower than you expect.