Subject: Ether3 new-style
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: S.J. Borrill <sjb42@cus.cam.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/09/1998 12:25:23
> > The facts seem to suggest to me that the current ea driver has
problems
> > with mbufs when talking to SEEQ80C04 hardware. systat mbufs doesn't
> > suggest anything. If two network cards are required and new Ether3s
don't
> > cut it, what are the alternatives? I-cubed EtherLan500s are not
> > recognised (or rather they give the error not configured).
>
> Hi,
>   hmm, The 8004 and 8005 are quite similar chips but there are minor
> differences. I have been meaning to combine the support into a single
> driver ... I have not come across the ether3 with the 8004 so the ea
> driver has never been tested with this chip. I'll take a look a see if
> there is anything obvious that is ikely to be the cause of the problem.

Any progress? I can send over a new Ether3 card if it would help. I am
concerned that there are no podule-based ethernet cards suitable for use
with NetBSD/arm32. I thought I'd heard Neil discussing the EtherLan500,
but that just reports 'not configured' with both the old eh0 driver and
the new ne0. I appreciate this is not a high priority thing (I'm as eager
for the CATS sources to be integrated as the next man :-) ), but it would
help a lot.

Stephen Borrill