Subject: How to fix your X windows problems (kinda)
To: NetBSD ARM 32 <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Coles <andrew@andycole.force9.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/07/1998 21:33:37
For the time being (until I have time that is...damn electronics)

I have managed to fix (up to a point, ie. further than most people seem to
be getting) the problem where Xarm33 complains about not being able to find
fonts at startup and will not load X.

You will need:
One old X distribution (the 1.2 release works fine :-)
The fonts from said distribution (are they as a set? can't remember - I
copied them off the CD)
Two toilet roll tubes and sticky back plastic :-p

1) Install all new X stuff as directed
2) Remember to set up a symlink as directed (make /usr/X11R6.3 a link to
/usr/X11R6 etc.)
3) Edit/create /etc/ld.so.conf to contain
	/usr/X11R6/lib
4) Copy fonts from old X distribution into the corresponding location in
the new distribution
	(Hint - If you don't know: type startx and it will say where it can't find
the files)

Et voila - startx will load X. Unfortunately, the RGB_DB problem will still
occur.

As I mentioned before I am planning to:

1) Install ALL the old X stuff
2) Install the new X stuff on top of it (therefore files present in new
distribution are preserved)
3) Install the old fonts again

Hopefully (Registered trademark of the 'With a bit of luck' company) this
should fix the problem.

PS - It will be saturday before I have time to try it: anyone with a bit of
free time to have a go.

Bye for now

Andrew