Subject: current kernels - memory corruptions?
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/03/1998 01:15:59
I have very big problems with all my kernels built  recently. Wether it
fails to boot at all or very strange things happen after a short time, eg=
:

* md5 produces wrong results
* tar tpvzf fails with intact *.tar.gz files
* >cp file1 file2
  >diff file1 file2
  files file1 and file2 differ
  >cp file1 file2
  >diff file1 file2
  (Ok.)
* gcc fails with errors about missing #endifs etc. in some long includes
  (eg. Xm.h )
* make complains about errors in pkgsrc/mk/bsd.?!? (forgotten)

Most of those kernels are configured/compiled with updated config and
libs/gcc etc. from the latest UVM Snapshot using the sequence
  config, make clean, make depend, make
and sometimes
  find . -name "*.depend" -exec rm {} \;
before the make depend.
(Don't laugh - it has helped me out quite a few times!)

My last working kernel ist dated mid 27th Aug, its sources are 1-2 days
older. (I sup regularly from a nearby daily updatet mirror.)

NB: This kernel is *very* stable! This is my first kernel I'm able to
have more than one really busy processes running. (eg. compiling a
kernel and two packages while playing lincity ;-) ) - Thank you,
everyone!

With all other 1.3* kernels so far even "ls" was dangerous during
compilations. Guess what: Acorn RISC PC with buggy StrongARM :-(

Bye,
  Thilo.=20
--=20
Mir ist mein Signature entlaufen :-(. Wer es findet, sendet es bitte an
Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE zur=FCck. Danke!=20