Subject: Re: getting a CATS to use el cheapo ne0 & sb0
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Mark Brinicombe <mark@causality.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/01/1998 02:16:37
On Mon, 31 Aug 1998, Todd Whitesel wrote:

> > 3. The CATS / EBSA285 1.3F sources have a bus mastering IDE driver that
> > will not be committed. This will mean a loss of performance on disk I/O
> > until the NetBSD MI driver supports it.
>
> I'm a little confused by this. The CATS IDE is part of an ALi SuperIO chip,
> which is one half of the Aladdin V chipset that my scratch i386 system uses.
>
> How much of your bus mastering driver is for the SuperIO (which is in
> principle MI) versus the footbridge (and therefore StrongARM specific) ?
> Or are there other bits that are hopelessly CATS specific?

Basically it is all MI basically a hacked version of the existing MI
driver with bus mastering support. This overlaps with the work that Manuel
Bouyer has been doing on IDE and was only done as a stop gap (to fulfill
requirements I had) to be dropped when Manuel's code is ready for use.

Cheers,
				Mark