Subject: Re: cross-compiling arm32 from i386, howto?
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Kyle Mestery <mestery@winternet.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/31/1998 06:56:05
On Mon, 31 Aug 1998, Todd Whitesel wrote:

> Is there a writeup anywhere about how one can cross-compile a source tree
> (say, -current) for arm32 from an i386 system?

I am doing something similar right now, but between sparc-netbsd to
arm32-netbsd.  I am able to compile a kernel, but at this point, I have
not tested to see if it will boot.:)  Still working on booting my
ebsa285-like hardware.:)

> So, can anyone point me to sources of info about cross-compiling for one
> NetBSD architecture from another?  I know there are people out there who
> have done similar things, and if it isn't currently easy then I am quite
> prepared to work at automating and documenting whatever I discover.

I used the compiler/linker/assembler sources from NetBSD-current.  After
some hacking of various things, I was able to get everything built.  I am
not sure if my linker is working or not at this point, Mark pointed out
there may be problems since the host machine is big-endian (the sparc) and
the target is little-endian (the arm32).  I guess I will find out when I
get it bootstrapped!

It would be great if you could document this!  If you run into problems
building the cross-compiler, let me know and I may be able to help.  I am
fairly certain the way I built mine was the "quick-and-dirty" way.:)

--
Kyle Mestery
StorageTek's Storage Networking Group