Subject: Re: getting a CATS to use el cheapo ne0 & sb0
To: Paul Wain <paul.wain@nc.com>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/31/1998 01:40:09
> >     - NE-2000 compatible PCI ethernet for $8 (piles of them)
> >     - SoundBlaster-16 compatible ISA sound for $6 (limit one per customer)
>
> Hrm, which Fry's? I was at the Sunnyvale one yesteday and I only saw the SB16
> compatables, didnt catch the ethernet cards - never mind the $30 netgears are
> cheep enough :)

Cheap ethernet was sighted at Fremont and Palo Alto, generally in a pile on
the end of one aisle as well as the usual stack on the network cards shelf.
Those were the only two stores I went to on saturday so I can't speak for the
others.

> Anyway as for your sound card problem (and I know you 'hacked' a way around it
> but): Did you try a generic i386 kernel? At NCI we often find that chips that
> claim to be SB16 compatable (such as say the ESS chips) are not. The
> compatability is basically that IRQ and port address :)
>
> You may actually find its an ESS type device not a true SB* device.

Interesting. The card also claims to be Adlib and OPL-3/OPL-4 compatible.
And I haven't really gotten it working yet, it still says 'not configured'.

In fact I'm supping -current right now (gawd that first sup takes a while,
should I have FTP'd a tarfile from somewhere?). More news as it comes in.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com