Subject: Re: getting a CATS to use el cheapo ne0 & sb0
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Paul Wain <paul.wain@nc.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/30/1998 23:58:18
Todd Whitesel wrote:

>     - NE-2000 compatible PCI ethernet for $8 (piles of them)
>     - SoundBlaster-16 compatible ISA sound for $6 (limit one per customer)

Hrm, which Fry's? I was at the Sunnyvale one yesteday and I only saw the SB16
compatables, didnt catch the ethernet cards - never mind the $30 netgears are
cheep enough :)

Anyway as for your sound card problem (and I know you 'hacked' a way around it
but): Did you try a generic i386 kernel? At NCI we often find that chips that
claim to be SB16 compatable (such as say the ESS chips) are not. The
compatability is basically that IRQ and port address :)

You may actually find its an ESS type device not a true SB* device.

Paul