Subject: Re: getting a CATS to use el cheapo ne0 & sb0
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Mark Brinicombe <mark@causality.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/30/1998 23:21:07
On Sun, 30 Aug 1998, Todd Whitesel wrote:

> Man, Fry's is the worst kind of drug... I went there today to exchange an
> ATAPI ZIP drive that exhibited the infamous "click of death" (this drive was
> for my CATS system; the replacement drive worked fine). And lo, what should
> I discover on the shelf but:
>
>     - NE-2000 compatible PCI ethernet for $8 (piles of them)
>     - SoundBlaster-16 compatible ISA sound for $6 (limit one per customer)
>
> I bought 3 of each. (Friends helped me get around the customer limit.)
> I have a slight dread that I have just rewarded slave labor in China.

A while ago I found $9 21142 10/100baseT PCI cards lurking there. (I
really should try and work out why the NetBSD de driver does not like it
;-)

> Anyway, I have gotten NetBSD/i386 to recognize the ethernet board as ne0.
> It keeps declaring the sound card to be "not configured" but I figure that
> may change once I get around to running -current on this machine. The static
> isa config line gets an error setting some mask bit and fails to probe, so I
> am using "sbo at isapnp0".

I've had hideous problems getting pnp sound cards working on NetBSD/i386.
The only one I have ever got working is the soundblaster in my laptop.
Since I have had problems with NetBSD/i386 I have not even attempted to
get these working with NetBSD/arm32 yet ;-)

> NetBSD/arm32 on my CATS system doesn't want to probe either of these boards;
> the firmware does not recognize the card as an ne0, and 'config' on arm32
> thinks that isapnp* and sb* are unknown devices, and won't let me add them
> to the kernel. I thought these were MI device drivers, so any ideas about
> how I might get them added to my arm32 kernel would be appreciated.

Hmm what chip do the cards use ? what vendor and product ID's does the
firmware report for the card. The current firmware recognises the
following chips

REALTEK RT8029
WINBOND W89C940F
VIATECH VT86C926

Just browsing the ne pci attachment in netbsd-current I see that there are
a number of other ne2000 compat PCI chips. I expect I just need to add
those to the firmware.

If NetBSD/arm32 is not recognising these cards then I suspect that the
recognition of the chip you have was added after NetBSD 1.3F

Also 1.3F (the kernel that ships with CATS will not have the ISA pnp stuff
that Jason recently added.

Cheers,
				Mark