Subject: maxproc on the CATS
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: S.J. Borrill <sjb42@cus.cam.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/25/1998 17:44:07
I've been altering the number of processes by altering the boot string to
include maxproc=<number>. This works fine up to 128 processes, but seems
to go a bit screwy after that. maxproc=256 fails during booting when it
tries to fork init and drops to the db> prompt. maxproc=192 allows the
machine to boot, but only lets a few processes be started before the shell
returns 'no more processes' (note doesn't complain about L1 page tables).
Am I limited to a small number of processes on the CATS or is it just a
silly mistake or some soft resource limit? I need more processes if I want
to run Apache (which forks a child per client request). On a RiscPC, I can
set 256 L1 page tables no problem and it all works fine.

Stephen Borrill