Subject: Re: Shark: power for disk ...
To: Phil Nelson <phil@cs.wwu.edu>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/20/1998 13:52:56
On Thu, 20 Aug 1998, Phil Nelson wrote:

: I'm trying to add hard disk to a shark I have ... and have run into the problem
: of getting power to it.  I have looked over the DEC dnard web site and in
: several other places ... but have not gotten the information I need.
:
: I see a small 4 pin header set with white plastic around it that looks like
: a power connector but I have not been able to confirm.

+5V only, and not enough watts to drive most hard disks.

This connector was meant for an internal Zip drive, and can be used with a
_2.5"_ IDE drive with appropriate adapters (both are low power, +5V only).

If you want to put a 3.5" hard drive in there, you need to watch for heat
concerns, and run your own power line to the drive from a power supply that
can handle it.

Note that if you run power to the drive from another PS, you can also power
the Shark through that 4-pin header from the same PS.  I do that on my
(Shark-based!) web server.