Subject: Programs I built bomb out
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Markus Baeurle <emw4maba@gp.fht-esslingen.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/14/1998 18:25:20
Hi everybody!

I tried to built two packages, Mozilla and Kaffe.
They both crash in the very same way:

Data abort: 'Permission error (page)' status=00f address=00000084 PC=10768d34

Please note that both the address and the PC are the same for these two
different programs.
The precise sequence goes like this:
I start mozilla-export from the command line, not from X. As expected, it
prints "Cannot open display" or so, then the data abort occurs. Same with the
dynamic version moz-export.
If I run kaffe to get the command line options there's no problem. If I want
it to run a Java program, the data abort occurs.

I have a RiscPC with bugged StrongARM, 48+2 MB of RAM running a self-compiled
kernel built from current sources without ARMFPE. I have installed the UVM
snapshot, so the libraries are from it. I'm not so sure about my
/usr/libexec/cc1 binary but haven't had any problems with it so far.

I'm wondering about two things:
-Should these binaries have FP instructions, how will they fail with a kernel
 without FPE? They were compiled with -msoft-float, though.
-What about the addresses 0084 and 10768d34? What's there?
--
So long, Markus

PGP key available on request or from
my homepage at http://www.gp.fht-esslingen.de/students/emw4maba