Subject: Re: Problems with etherh and RiscBSD
To: Peter Teichmann <teich-p@Rcs1.urz.tu-dresden.de>
From: Mike Pumford <mpumford@mpc-data.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/12/1998 09:26:11
Peter Teichmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> when trying some different kernels I found that there were some kernels
> where my etherh network card works correctly.
>
> For instance it does not work with the RISCPC or VOYAGER kernel from
> NetBSD-1.3.2/arm32/binary/kernel.
This is the old EtherH driver. You need to make sure you have used
the card in RISCOS before booting NetBSD.

> It works with RISCPC-980604 or VOYAGER-980604 from
> NetBSD/arch/arm32/snapshot/19980604/kernels.
> It does not work with the kernels from
> NetBSD/arch/arm32/snapshot/19980606.UVM/kernels.

These contain the new EtherH driver which appears as ne0. Again you need
to make sure you have ifconfig'ed the eh0 interface in RISCOS before
booting NetBSD. If that does not work then drop me a mail with the
dmesg  output from your machine and I'll try and figure out whats going
on.

> What are you doing with the etherh driver?

The old EtherH driver remains unchanged as it has been replaced. The new
ne0 driver is shared between multiple architectures and has performed
consistently for me from NetBSD-current 1.3E through to the last kernel
I built at the start of the month.

Mike