Subject: Re: xsets directory
To: Timothy Coltman <timothy_coltman@hotmail.com>
From: Dave Millen <webmaster@largesalad.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/09/1998 16:28:59
Hi,

Timothy Coltman wrote:

> This question has probably been asked a million times before but seeing
> as I haven't been able to access the net for a while, I have an excuse.
>
> In the directory ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/arm32/xsets there
> are some tarred gzips to download which, according to the README, are a
> new version of X. I've downloaded most of it - not the fonts due to time
> restraints (but I'm just using the old fonts from the CD-Rom set) and it
> includes a version of XFree86. Which I can't get to work. I've read
> through all the docs and run the preinst.sh and postinst.sh scripts but
> nowt happens. It objects to something called pccons or X_CONSOLE and
> tells me to sort out my console driver and /dev directory. This error is
> the same as one mentioned in one of the READMEs in
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc - either README.NetBSD or RELNOTES, so I followed
> that and deleted /dev/ttyqv0 (or something - I can't remember offhand),
> and it still doesn't work.
>
> Am I just being stupid or is there a solution to this? I have run
> XF86config to make a sort-of config file for the server but I didn't
> know some of the necessary answers. Is it the use of the incorrect fonts
> which is causing the problem (doesn't look like it to me).

When those sets were posted, a mail was sent out saying that the XFree86 server
was for the shark. It doesn't run on a RiscPC if that's what you have.

If you DO have a RiscPC there are some files in the directory
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/arm32/RPC-Xarm (or similar) which will
help.
Xarm-33.tar.gz is the X server and appears to work O.K. with the binaries in the
other directory, although you might want to download everything but the fonts
just to be safe.

regards
Dave

--
Customer: "I'm running Windows 95 and Internet Explorer 4."
Tech Support: "Y-e-e-e-e-s........"

e-mail: webmaster@largesalad.co.uk
net: http://www.largesalad.co.uk