Subject: xsets directory
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Timothy Coltman <timothy_coltman@hotmail.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/09/1998 04:36:11
This question has probably been asked a million times before but seeing
as I haven't been able to access the net for a while, I have an excuse.

In the directory ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/arm32/xsets there
are some tarred gzips to download which, according to the README, are a
new version of X. I've downloaded most of it - not the fonts due to time
restraints (but I'm just using the old fonts from the CD-Rom set) and it
includes a version of XFree86. Which I can't get to work. I've read
through all the docs and run the preinst.sh and postinst.sh scripts but
nowt happens. It objects to something called pccons or X_CONSOLE and
tells me to sort out my console driver and /dev directory. This error is
the same as one mentioned in one of the READMEs in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc - either README.NetBSD or RELNOTES, so I followed
that and deleted /dev/ttyqv0 (or something - I can't remember offhand),
and it still doesn't work.

Am I just being stupid or is there a solution to this? I have run
XF86config to make a sort-of config file for the server but I didn't
know some of the necessary answers. Is it the use of the incorrect fonts
which is causing the problem (doesn't look like it to me).

Any help would be appreciated.