Subject: Re: KDE and CATS
To: S.J. Borrill <sjb42@cus.cam.ac.uk>
From: Neil A. Carson <neil@causality.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/06/1998 15:09:17
S.J. Borrill wrote:

> I'm running KDE on a CATS board. In any of the KDE apps (kfm, kvt, etc.)
> both backspace and Delete delete forward (or give ~ in kvt). I have to use
> Ctrl-H to delete. However, in other apps (e.g. xterm) everything behaves
> as normal. I'm setting the keyboard mapping to g1 at startup with kcon.
> The KDE help seems to only says about adding applications and there are no
> relevant entries in the keyboard section of kcontrol. I know that Neil at
> least has KDE running on a CATS, so what's the trick to getting keyboard
> mappin sorted out?
>
> Also, I've found that with kde 4.1b, kpanel (the icon bar
> type thing) won't applications when chosen from the menu (this happens on
> a RiscPC as well). With a full 3.1b installation, I remember it working,
> but the fix isn't as simple as running the 3.1b kpanel with 4.1b.

Interesting. I had the same problem with the erase character, seems to
be a bug in the code. I also had a problem with the start menu, and
ended up using a 'cocktail' of 3.1 and 4.1 on my machine to sort it
out... Which then went and broke loads of other things instead :)

Mark has done a recent build of KDE, and is seems that the start menu
problem doesn't seem to affect him. I ought to do a build of 1.0 at some
stage, unless someone else has, though I don't have easy access to a
nice fast internet link at the moment (though hopefully this will be
fixed in a week or two). Apparently it's pretty good.

	Regards,

	Neil

--
Neil A. Carson