Subject: shark interrupt latency
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Lennart Augustsson <augustss@cs.chalmers.se>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/04/1998 13:01:11
In trying to get the sound to work on the shark I was playing
some CD data rate (176KB/s) on my shark.  I noticed that it
sounded really weird so I compiled the audio driver with the
interrupt latency debugging code enabled.  It showed that the
ess interrupt is often delayed by around 20 ms and sometimes
with as much as over 50 ms.  Since the sound driver interrupts every
50 ms the latter delay causes audio interrupts to be lost.
Due to the somewhat poor design of the audio layer lost interrupts
are not handled gracefully and the sound gets jumbled.  It seems
that about one interrupt out of 15 is lost (i.e. more than one per
second).

So I wonder:  What on earth is blocking the interrupts for over 50ms?
This must be a bug, there should be no legitimate reason for
doing this.  It seems to work well when I play files from
local disk or an mfs file system so I suspects the cs driver
or the nfs code.

        -- Lennart