Subject: Re: What are the advantages of UVM?
To: None <andrew@andycole.force9.co.uk>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/01/1998 13:40:30
On Fri, 31 Jul 1998 15:05:47 +0100
 "Andrew Coles" <andrew@andycole.force9.co.uk> wrote:

 > I've read a bit about UVM on the NetBSD web site and it has been mentioned
 > several times in this mailing list. Is it worth upgrading to UVM? Is it a
 > simple patch to the kernel or do I need recompiled binaries to take
 > advantage of it?

You must be running NetBSD-current in order to use UVM; the changes to
the kernel sources are quite extensive in places.

Once you are running NetBSD-current, you need to put "options UVM"
in your kernel config file, rebuild the kernel, and boot it.  You
are now using UVM.

Some programs, like ps(1), etc. will not work correctly until you
rebuild your userland with UVM support.  To do that, you need to put
"UVM=yes" in /etc/mk.conf, and do a "make build" in /usr/src.

Moffett Field, CA 94035                             Pager: +1 650 940 5942