Subject: Re: Writing to floppy-disk after upgrade to UVM binaries.
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/28/1998 21:50:41
> > It should have said "Operation not allowed on directory", not "Is a directory".
>
> That would be very hard to do. Have a look at what chmod has to work
> with to see why.

Yes, it would take a new errno to do it right, and then we would have to
agonize over the prospect of bloating the syserrlist. Eventually we will
realize that error message management is a real service in its own right,
and start trying to find a way to avoid producing whole booklets of error
messages, like MacOS and Windows.

One compromise would be to create a new errno for all foreign filesystem
problems of this sort: "Operation not allowed by foreign filesystem"

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com