Subject: Re: Problems
To: Jonathan Hunt <csuwg@dcs.warwick.ac.uk>
From: Mike Pumford <mpumford@black-star.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/26/1998 23:59:30
On Tue, 14 Jul 1998, Jonathan Hunt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an I3 EtherH network card which seemed to be working ok, i.e.
> ping worked, but when I put any heavy load on it, ftping a file on
> the local ethernet for example, I get *thousands* of errors similar
> to the following:
>
> eh: no carrier
> EHDEBUG: Remote 16 wasn't finished : spl level 6
> EHDEBUG: SetReg done : status 18 : type 16
> EHDEBUG: COM_WRITE : About to SetReg ( EH_DATA_PORT, dummy );
> ehstart: failed to load packet
> eh: Interrupt not serviced
> eh: Receive Error: packet received intact (this should happen)

Unfortunately NetBSD-1.3.2 has the old EtherH driver which will always
produce output like this. To het the newer driver you will need a
NetBSD-current kernel.

> The next thing I tried was to run some of my old binaries that I'd
> compiled under 1.2.  None of them worked, they all gave
> segmentation fault errors.  Even the rc5des client did the same.

This could be because they were compiled with floating point code in them.
NetBSD 1.3.2 uses a softfloat library rather than the Floating point
emulation as it is faster. Older binaries require the FPE to be compiled
into the kernel and the RISCPC kernel in 1.3.2 does not have it.

If you want a NetBSD-current kernel and can't find one at ftp.NetBSD.org
let me know and I can build a standard RISCPC kernel with FPE enable. This
is the configuration I use on this machine.

> All the installed set binaries seemed to work though at first including
> all the X stuff, xclock, xlogo, xterm, etc, though something seemed up
> with xterm. If I ran it when no DISPLAY variable was set, it crashed
> horribly:

I think almost all the X binaries I have do that if the DISPLAY
environment is not set correctly. They do the same thing of FreeBSD IIRC.

> I've tried compiling some stuff, but didn't get very far.  An emacs compile
> died during the ./configure stage with a similar error to the above.

I've never managed to get Emacs to build but I did get beyond the
configure stage. Sounds like a binary required by configure still needs
FPE.

Mike